SEO Basics: How to Get Your Website Found on Google
10 Nov 2023
What is SEO?
To improve a website's ranking in search engine results pages (SERPs) and make it more visible to potential visitors, SEO (search engine optimisation) is used.
Why is SEO important?
SEO is important because search engines are the primary way that people find information online. According to a study by BrightEdge, 93% of online experiences begin with a search engine. If your website is not optimised for search engines, it is less likely to be found by potential customers.
How does Google rank websites?
Google uses a complex algorithm to rank websites in its SERPs. The algorithm takes into account a variety of factors, including the quality of the website's content, the number and quality of links to the website, and the relevance of the website to the user's search query.
How to get your website found on Google
There are a number of things you can do to improve your website's SEO and get it found on Google. Here are some of the most important tips:
1. Create high-quality content
The most important factor in SEO is the quality of your website's content. Google wants to rank websites that provide valuable and informative content to users. When creating content, be sure to focus on the following:
- Relevance: Make sure your content is relevant to the keywords that your target audience is searching for.
- Accuracy: Make sure your content is accurate and up-to-date.
- Completeness: Make sure your content provides comprehensive coverage of the topic.
- Readability: Make sure your content is well-written and easy to read.
2. Optimise your website's structure
Google also takes into account the structure of your website when ranking it. Make sure your website is easy to navigate and that all of your pages are linked together in a logical way. You should also use relevant keywords in your website's title tags, meta descriptions, and header tags.
3. Build backlinks
Backlinks are links from other websites to your own. Google views backlinks as a vote of confidence in your website. The more high-quality backlinks you have, the higher your website is likely to rank in the SERPs.
There are a number of ways to build backlinks, including:
- Creating high-quality content that other websites will want to link to.
- Guest blogging on other websites.
- Promoting your content on social media.
- Submitting your website to relevant directories.
4. Monitor your results
Once you have implemented some SEO best practices, it is important to monitor your results and make adjustments as needed. You can use a variety of tools to track your website's traffic and ranking.
Additional SEO tips
Here are some additional SEO tips that may help you improve your website's ranking:
- Use images and videos. Google loves multimedia content. Adding images and videos to your website can help you improve your ranking and attract more visitors.
- Make your website mobile-friendly. More and more people are using their smartphones and tablets to access the internet. Make sure your website is optimised for mobile devices so that you don't miss out on this growing audience.
- Keep your website updated. Google likes to see that websites are active and that new content is being added on a regular basis. Try to publish new content at least once a week.
SEO is a complex and ever-changing field, but there are a number of basic things you can do to improve your website's ranking and get it found on Google. By following the tips in this article, you can start to see results within a few weeks or months.
Here are some additional resources that you may find helpful: