How to use keyword research to find the best topics for your blog
14 Nov 2023
Keyword research is the process of finding the words and phrases that people are using to search for information online. It's an important part of blogging because it helps you to create content that is relevant to your target audience and that is likely to rank well in search engine results pages (SERPs).
There are a number of different keyword research tools available, both free and paid. Some popular options include:
- Google Keyword Planner
- Ahrefs Keywords Explorer
- Semrush Keyword Magic Tool
- Moz Keyword Explorer
Once you have chosen a keyword research tool, the first step is to brainstorm a list of seed keywords. These are the main keywords that you want to rank for. For example, if you have a blog about cooking, your seed keywords might include "cooking recipes," "healthy cooking," and "easy cooking meals."
Once you have a list of seed keywords, you can use your keyword research tool to generate a list of related keywords. These are keywords that are similar to your seed keywords, but that are more specific. For example, some related keywords for the seed keyword "cooking recipes" might include "vegetarian cooking recipes," "chicken cooking recipes," and "slow cooker cooking recipes."
When choosing keywords to target, it's important to consider the following factors:
- Search volume: How many people are searching for this keyword each month?
- Competition: How many other websites are competing to rank for this keyword?
- Relevance: Is this keyword relevant to your blog and your target audience?
- Intent: What is the intent of the people who are searching for this keyword? Are they looking for information, to buy something, or something else?
It's also important to consider a mix of short-tail and long-tail keywords. Short-tail keywords are more competitive, but they also have higher search volume. Long-tail keywords are less competitive, but they also have lower search volume.
Once you have chosen a list of keywords to target, you can start to write blog posts around those keywords. Be sure to use your keywords throughout your blog posts, including in the title, headings, and body text. You should also make sure that your blog posts are high-quality and informative.
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to use keyword research to find the best topics for your blog:
- Brainstorm a list of seed keywords.
- Use a keyword research tool to generate a list of related keywords.
- Choose keywords to target based on search volume, competition, relevance, and intent.
- Write blog posts around your target keywords.
- Optimise your blog posts for SEO.
Here are some additional tips for finding the best topics for your blog using keyword research:
- Use Google Trends to see what topics are trending.
- Look at the top-ranking blog posts for your target keywords to see what topics they are covering.
- Use social media to see what topics are being talked about in your niche.
- Ask your audience what topics they would like to read about.
By following these tips, you can use keyword research to find the best topics for your blog and to create content that is likely to rank well in SERPs and attract readers.
Advanced keyword research techniques
Once you have mastered the basics of keyword research, there are a number of advanced techniques that you can use to find even better topics for your blog. These techniques include:
- Identifying LSI keywords: LSI keywords are semantically related keywords. For example, some LSI keywords for the keyword "cooking recipes" might include "food," "ingredients," and "instructions." By including LSI keywords in your blog posts, you can help Google to better understand the topic of your content.
- Using keyword clustering: Keyword clustering is the process of grouping related keywords together. This can be done using a keyword research tool or by doing it manually. By clustering your keywords, you can identify new topic ideas and uncover hidden opportunities.
- Analysing competitor keywords: By analysing the keywords that your competitors are ranking for, you can identify new topic ideas and learn which keywords are most important to your target audience.
- Tracking keyword trends: Keyword trends are the changes in search volume for keywords over time. By tracking keyword trends, you can identify topics that are becoming more popular and less popular.
By using these advanced keyword research techniques, you can find even better topics for your blog and create content that is more likely to rank well in SERPs and attract readers.