How to design effective calls to action
25 Oct 2023
A call to action (CTA) is a statement that tells a user what you want them to do next. It is a critical element of any marketing campaign, as it is the point at which you convert your audience into customers or leads.
Effective CTAs are clear, concise, and persuasive. They should tell the user exactly what you want them to do, and why they should do it. They should also be designed to stand out from the rest of your content and grab the user's attention.
Here are some tips on how to design effective calls to action:
1. Start with a strong verb The first word of your CTA should be a strong verb that tells the user exactly what you want them to do. For example:
- Sign up now
- Download your free guide
- Book a demo
- Buy now
2. Be specific. Don't just tell the user to "click here" or "learn more." Tell them exactly what they will get by clicking on your CTA. For example:
- Sign up now to receive our exclusive newsletter
- Download your free guide to 10 ways to boost your website traffic
- Book a demo of our software to see how it can help you grow your business
- Buy now and get 20% off your first order
3. Highlight the benefits. Why should the user click on your CTA? What are they going to get out of it? Highlight the benefits of taking the desired action in your CTA copy. For example:
- Sign up now to receive our exclusive newsletter and be the first to know about new products, special promotions, and more!
- Download your free guide to 10 ways to boost your website traffic and learn how to attract more visitors to your website.
- Book a demo of our software to see how it can help you automate your tasks, save time, and grow your business.
- Buy now and get 20% off your first order, plus free shipping on orders over $50!
4. Create a sense of urgency. Limited time offers, discounts, and other incentives can create a sense of urgency and encourage users to take action immediately. For example:
- Sign up now and get 20% off your first order! This offer is only valid for a limited time.
- Download your free guide to 10 ways to boost your website traffic today!
- Book a demo of our software and see how it can help you grow your business in 2023.
- Buy now and get free shipping on orders over $50! This offer ends tonight.
5. Make it easy to click. Your CTA should be easy to see and click on. Use a contrasting colour for your CTA button and make sure the text is large enough to read easily. You should also place your CTA button in a prominent location on your page, such as above the fold or at the end of your content.
Here are some additional tips for designing effective CTAs:
- Use persuasive language. Use words that will encourage users to take action, such as "free," "easy," "limited time offer," and "guarantee."
- Personalise your CTAs. Use personalised language and offers to target your specific audience.
- Test different CTAs. A/B test different CTA variations to see what works best for your audience.
- Track your results. Track the click-through rate (CTR) and conversion rate of your CTAs so you can see what's working and what's not.
Examples of effective calls to action
Here are some examples of effective calls to action:
- E-commerce website: "Shop now and get 20% off your first order!"
- Software company: "Book a demo of our software and see how it can help you grow your business."
- Blog: "Subscribe to our newsletter to receive our latest blog posts straight to your inbox."
- Nonprofit organisation: "Donate today and help us make a difference in the lives of those in need."
Effective calls to action are essential for any marketing campaign. By following the tips above, you can design CTAs that will encourage your audience to take action and help you achieve your business goals.